In 1953, a small group interested in beginning a Baptist work in the Winthrop Harbor area met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Collins. It was from this meeting that weekly services began, meeting in a jet-engine factory located on the south side of Ninth Street, one – half block east of Lewis Avenue.
On August 16, 1953, the First Baptist Church of Winthrop Harbor was organized with 50 charter members and with Reverend Frank Maysak as pastor. The church was offered the second floor facilities, above Fields Clothing Store in Zion, rent free by Mr. William Bicket. They met there until the new building at 1112 Sheridan Road, Winthrop Harbor, was completed. They moved into the new building in February of 1956.
In March of 1965, the church moved into the completed new facilities at 3001 West Ninth Street in Winthrop Harbor, its present location. The church is 11,441 square feet, the auditorium seats 296 and the educational building accommodates 385. The facilities became debt free in June of 1979.
Our first three deacons were ordained on October 12, 1953. They were J.C. Lofton, William Freeman, and William Hass. And our first Pastor was Reverend Frank Maysak, 1953-1959.